Job opening in the Augustana College Development Office
Augustana is seeking an enthusiastic, confident and skilled applicant for our Assistant Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations position. To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume and reference list to Human Resources:
Email submissions are preferred.
2001 S Summit Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
Assistant Director of Annual Giving & Alumni Relations
The Assistant Director of Annual Giving & Alumni Relations will lead or assist an array of strategic activities, events and communications in two related areas within the Office of Development: annual giving and alumni relations. The Assistant Director is responsible for efforts to meet and exceed annual fund raising goals through direct involvement in the annual campaign (Augustana Fund). The Assistant Director will design strategies and create new approaches for building participation within a growing base of engaged alumni. The Assistant Director will work to ensure that all of these efforts are appropriately integrated and focused on strengthening alumni relationships through increased attendance at alumni events, and improved participation in volunteer committees to support the Augustana Fund.
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a social media strategy. Must have a solid understanding of building online communities and how to integrate with other forms of communication and networking.
- Website content management skills
- Understanding of and appreciation for the mission of Augustana College and private higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a variety of individuals, both internal and external, to accomplish goals and complete projects.
- Must be outgoing, energetic, and effective in interacting with, and speaking to various size groups of alumni.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to engage volunteers.
The Development Office is a business environment with 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. hours of operation. The assistant director position requires a flexible schedule that can accommodate frequent evening and weekend hours as well as day and overnight travel.
Valid driver’s license.
Desired/Required Education and Experience:
- Education : Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience (preferred Augustana graduate).
- Experience: Preferred experience in the fields of higher education, website management, social media marketing, general marketing, sales, event planning, fundraising, volunteer management or related non-profit work, direct mail, or telemarketing.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordination/Coaching Given: The Assistant Director will provide coordination and coaching to student callers working for the phonathon, as well as mentoring for students who are members of the student alumni association.
- Coordination/Coaching Received: The Assistant Director will receive coordination and coaching primarily from the Director of Annual Giving & the Director of Alumni Relations.
- Primary responsibility for the AugieLink alumni online community including web content, and creating online forms and events.
- Manage e-communication to Augustana alumni, including newsletters, event announcements, invitations and e-campaigns.
- Lead the strategic implementation of social media messaging including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn to improve alumni engagement, participation and giving.
- Create high level analytic reports of our website traffic, our email effectiveness and our online giving activity.
- Develop and execute strategies to improve alumni participation in: (a) annual giving to the Augustana Fund and (b) young alumni events, with a special emphasis on graduates of the last 10 years.
- Assist in managing student phonathon fundraising for the Augustana Fund. Requires 1-2 nights per week from September thru April following the academic calendar. Help the Director to develop strategy, keep student callers updated on the latest Augustana news and information, help to recruit new callers and drive results of the phonathon.
- Lead key aspects of our student philanthropy effort.
- Coordinate programming for senior students culminating in the Senior Celebration during graduation weekend.
- Continue work begun by the newly developed student alumni association known as SKOL (Students Keeping Ole’s Legacy). Identify current students to join the association to develop future leaders among the alumni community. Develop strategies to promote a “spirit of giving” to Augustana and pride in participation.
- Responsible for the GOLD (Graduates of the Last Decade) Advisory Board – hosting two meetings per year in conjunction with the Augustana Alumni Council, planning young alumni events and developing a communication strategy with young alumni.
- Assist in all aspects of planning, executing and managing Viking Days events, with emphasis on young alumni reunions.
Position reports to: Director of Alumni Relations, with significant involvement of the Director of Annual Giving.